Handy Moving Tips

Prior to completion

  • Confirm arrangements with Removal Company.
  • Arrange for gas and electricity meters to be read.
  • Inform Telephone Company, local authority, Water Company, insurance company and others of the moving date so finishing bills can be prepared (or refunds obtained.)
  • Arrange for your mail to be redirected.

After completion

  • Advise all friends, relations and service providers of your new address.
  • Check for redirected mail.

For further information or for a personal discussion about selling your property, please contact. Jack Harvey on 0208 337 7444

What is a HIP?

A Home Information Pack (also known as the HIP) is compulsory for most homes on the market in England and Wales. The HIP is a set of documents that provides the buyer with key information on the property and must be provided by the seller or the seller’s agent. It is a legal requirement to have a HIP and in most cases, a property cannot be marketed without one.

The HIP lets buyers see important information about the property at the start of the process, free of charge. This means there is less chance of buyers becoming aware of any surprises at the end of the process. The HIP can help reduce delays and extra expense to the buyer and seller and is made up of the following compulsory and optional items:

Compulsory documents

The following documents must be included in your HIP:

Freehold properties

  • Home Information Pack Index
  • The new Property Information Questionnaire (PIQ), from 6 April 2009
  • Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) or Predicted Energy Assessment (PEA)
  • Sustainability information (required for newly built homes)
  • Sale statement
  • Evidence of title
  • Standard searches (local authority and drainage and water)

Leasehold properties

  • All the compulsory documents above
  • A copy of the lease
  • Optional Documents
  • Other documents can be included within your HIP, but these are optional. If they are included, it could help to speed up the sale and ensure that the process goes more smoothly. These include:
  • Home Condition Report
  • Legal summary
  • Home use/contents form
  • Other documents like specialist searches (for example, the seller may choose to include a mining search in a mining area)

EPC guide to Energy Performance Certificates – we can do it all for you.

Why the need and who needs one?

The Government is keen to ensure home-owners act responsibly when it comes to making their home energy efficient, given nearly 40% of the UK’s energy consumption comes from lighting and heating the nation’s 25 million homes and offices.

So all UK home-owners are legally obliged to have an Energy Performance Certificate (or EPC) before marketing begins on their house or flat. That way people are made aware of just how much fuel a property uses.

This relates to properties of all sizes, regardless of the number of bedrooms, whether the property is to sale or to let, and whether it’s commercial or residential.

Once obtained, an EPC lasts ten years for a lettings property and three years for a sales one. Tenanted properties will only require a certificate once the tenancy comes to an end, and prior to new tenants moving in. However if your property is currently empty or will be soon, now is an ideal time to get your EPC done.

Jack Harvey can do it all for you!

We work swiftly to deliver your Energy Performance Certificates promptly, often the day after we have visited the property.

We will draw up the certificates for clients who instruct us to sell their home, so anyone selling through Jack Harvey has a complete package on offer, cutting the cost, time and headaches for sellers.

So what’s an EPC?

It’s basically a certificate attached to your property’s details which says how energy efficient your house or flat is. One of our agents will visit your home and assess your property. This generally takes around 30 minutes, but this may vary slightly depending on the size of the property.

Properties are graded from A (the most energy efficient) to G (the least), and an energy graph is attached to the property details, giving the potential buyer a general overview of a property’s energy efficiency. The EPC will also make recommendations about ways to save energy on your home, such as insulation and double-glazing.

A copy of the EPC must be kept on file and made available to all interested parties, including potential buyers and tenants.

While the recommendations within the EPC are voluntary and not a legal requirement, failure to provide an EPC can result in a fine from trading standards.

So whether you’re a seller or a landlord, with one phone call to Jack Harvey we can organise all your energy assessment needs.  Call Jack Harvey’s EPC team on 020 8337 7444

Why should you consider Jack Harvey Estate Agents?

Our small team have over 40 years combined property experience and extensive local knowledge

  • We can guarantee a professional yet personal service
  • We are committed to keeping customers informed at every stage of negotiations and providing realistic advice throughout
  • We are community focused
  • State of the art technology
  • The latest marketing techniques in print and on the internet