Handy Moving Tips

Gas safety check (CP12)

As you should be aware, you’re legally required to have all gas appliances in the property you let checked yearly and to also hold a Gas Safety Record. The Annual Gas Safety Check (CP12) includes:

  • An inspection of your boiler and its gas pipe work.
  • Completion of gas safety record (CP12)

Pat testing

Pat testing or portable appliance testing is an important part of any health & safety policy. The Health & Safety Executive states that 25% of all reportable electrical accidents involve portable appliances. The Electricity at Work Regulations place a legal responsibility on employers, employees and self-employed persons to comply with the provisions of the regulations and take reasonably practicable steps to ensure that no danger results from the use of such equipment. This in effect requires the implementation of a systematic and regular program of maintenance, inspection and testing. The Health & Safety at Work Act (1974) places such an obligation in the following circumstances:

Where appliances are used by employees.

  • Where the public may use appliances in establishments such as hospitals, schools, hotels, shops, rented flats and houses etc.
  • Where appliances are supplied or hired.
  • Where appliances are repaired or serviced.
  • EPC guide to Energy Performance Certificates – we can do it all for you.

Why the need and who needs one?

So what is an EPC? It’s basically a certificate attached to your property’s details which says how energy efficient your house or flat is. This generally takes around 30 minutes, but this may vary slightly depending on the size of the property.

The Government is keen to ensure home-owners act responsibly when it comes to making their home energy efficient, given nearly 40% of the UK’s energy consumption comes from lighting and heating the nation’s 25 million homes and offices. So all UK home-owners are legally obliged to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) before marketing begins on their house or flat. That way people are made aware of just how much fuel a property uses.

The EPC relates to properties of all sizes, regardless of the number of bedrooms, whether the property is to sale or to let, and whether it’s commercial or residential. Once obtained, an EPC lasts ten years for a lettings property.

Tenanted properties will only require a certificate once the tenancy comes to an end, and prior to new tenants moving in. However if your property is currently empty or will be soon, now is an ideal time to get your EPC done. Jack Harvey can do it all for you! Our EPC team will work swiftly to deliver your Energy Performance Certificate, often the day after we have visited the property.

Properties are graded from A (the most energy efficient) to G (the least), and an energy graph is attached to the property details, giving the potential buyer a general overview of a property’s energy efficiency. The EPC will also make recommendations about ways to save energy on your home, such as insulation and double-glazing.

A copy of the EPC must be kept on file and made available to all interested parties, including potential buyers and tenants. Whilst the recommendations within the EPC are voluntary and not a legal requirement, failure to provide an EPC can result in a fine from trading standards.

So whether you’re a seller or a landlord, with one phone call to Jack Harvey we can organise all your energy assessment needs.  Call Jack Harvey’s EPC team on 020 8337 7444

Why should you consider Jack Harvey Estate Agents?

Our small team have over 40 years combined property experience and extensive local knowledge

  • We can guarantee a professional yet personal service
  • We are committed to keeping customers informed at every stage of negotiations and providing realistic advice throughout
  • We are community focused
  • State of the art technology
  • The latest marketing techniques in print and on the internet